It’s that time of year where all that’s going through my head are the looming deadlines ahead of me. I’m lucky in one sense as I don’t have any exams unlike other courses but I do have a LOT of coursework due in by the Christmas hols.
If like me you find yourself getting rather stressed around this time, here are a few pointers on how to calm down and get the work done!
1. Tidy your workspace. Anyone that knows me will know quite how messy my rooms gets but due to the amount of work I’ve got to do, I made the effort to actually tidy up. It’s a lot easier to get motivated if you’re working in a clear space. If you can’t work at home, go somewhere that’s peaceful and quiet like the library.
2. Don’t do what I do and leave everything until the last minute. I told myself that I wouldn’t do that this year but here I am, rushing to start and finish essays the day before it’s due in. Planning ahead is very useful. Thankfully the ones I’ve left to last minute this semester are quite basic but try to allow yourself enough time so you don’t have to spend hours on end in the library when you could be having a social life…
3. Take breaks. Whether it’s doing coursework or revising for an exam, breaks will help with concentration levels. If you’re working solidly for however many hours, you’ll end up running out of ideas or you’ll go crazy. Even just a 5 minute break every hour is better than nothing. Get some fresh air and don’t even think about the work you’re doing. You’d be surprised at how much that can change your attitude towards it and you’ll find yourself refreshed.
4. Get lots of sleep. Some all nighters are unavoidable but it’s vital to get some shut eye so you’re refreshed and ready for the day. If you’re up late then the next day you’re not going to be much use to the world and will certainly struggle with getting motivated.
5. CAFFEINE. If you really can’t get enough sleep then caffeine is your wonder drug. Although it helps you stay awake and concentrate, too much can just make you too hyperactive and so you’ll end up making more mistakes so just be careful. I for one can’t handle more than one can of energy drink and even that keeps me up all night.
Now I’m no expert and I should really take my own advice but hopefully these will help a tad!
Do you have anything that helps with your stress levels around deadline/exam period? Let me know in the comments!
Oodles of love…